Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The big fat stinking thing called Health

Insurance...


Health insurance.  Stinks.  Hard.  Core.


So my company's open enrollment for health insurance is going on, and our plans start Feb 1.  


Do you remember the dreaded first for us?  Or maybe the awful summer we had?  Yeah we have learned a LOT about health insurance in the last 8 months ish.


So I found out, after learning the hard way, that the insurance plan I picked (I had 3 choices) really did not match our needs.  AT ALL.  It was bad.  Real bad.


And it was so sad, because I think if I put a little more thought into it, and had taken it seriously, I could have figured this out when I chose the insurance... And we wouldn't have had to face the financial repercussions that we unfortunately had to deal with.


We survived, by the way.  But think of all the things we could have done with the extra money we would have saved!


Anyways.  So we are in open enrollment, and Mike and I have decided we HAVE to switch insurance.  But there's a glitch.  There is a really nice HSA choice.  If you're an individual.  For a family, it's cheap, but it would really hurt you financially if you have medical needs up around 5,000 to 6,000.  


So I was frustrated, and I was a little unsure of what to do.  We had looked at individual plans outside of what my job offers.  But the maternity clauses wouldn't go into effect for 9 months.  What if... ya know?


To be continued...

1 comment:

Bitterroot Mama said...

I agree with you. I HATE health insurance. I was on a personal plan for awhile after I moved to MT because I was unemployed and ended up having a potentially bad health problem. Hundreds of dollars later, I learned I didn't have cancer, but health insurance companies stink.

I hope you pick a good plan! The one my husband has now seems to be fairly good.