Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A First for Both of Us

So Mike and I both got to experience something for the first time.  He broke his finger and needed stitches (and lotsa work...) and had just a bad incident all together.

I found out what it's like to hear your husband is being taken to the ER, but I couldn't be there, or go there.

It was very traumatic, but thankfully we have a roomate, who was fortunate enough to be home to help out. She drove him to the ER. She stayed with him and kept me updated. Then, hours later (when she was late for work) she drove him to the pharmacy for pain pills, and then got him home. Without her, I would have absolutely panicked. Tuesday is my day at work that I can't miss. Period. I'm in accounting, and the payroll has to be finished by the end of Tuesday. I do the payroll. In an emergency there are others, but it's just not that simple to pass it on once I've started. Anywayssince Carrie was here to help out I wasn't needed. Therefore I stayed.

I'm sure everyone has that experience, but it was my first. It was scary. I didn't like it. Thankfully we had some pretty amazing support. My aunt was the xray tech. She knows the staff, and got a ton of help and only the best for her nephew. The docs were awesome. Carrie was awesome. My aunt was awesome. Everyone did marvelously. It really is comforting to know.

Now to get through the rest. The numbing is going to wear off here soon, and he's going to be in a lot of pain. He's been given good drugs. He also has his comfort foods- mac n cheese, soup, and apple pie. He is well bandaged, and well loved. Let's hope it's enough to get him through it, because if you've ever broken something (and I mean broken- as in, he broke all the way through the bone) you know how painful it is. Add stitches (several) and well... I won't go into the details, but you get the drift. It's going to hurt. Wish him luck.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Update- Mike is at least feeling better. The finger is starting to heal. He's definitely going to lose the nail (no fear, it grows back). He gets the stitches removed here in a few days, and he's already been working on keeping the joints limber.