Sunday, November 14, 2010

Food in a Box becomes a Healthy Meal

So remember my awesome menu a few weeks back?


I said I was making Chicken Alfredo.

Yum yum. 

BUT I slightly didn't tell the truth- it's from a box.



This box, actually.

Yeah.  We eat processed food in our house.  Not often.  But we do.  It's easy.  It's cheap (IT'S CHEAP- THIS IS THE BIG ARGUMENT FOR IT'S CASE).  But you know, it gets kind of bland sometimes.

So I took a few extra ingredients. 





See?  Yes- they are cans, jars, bags, and boxes.  We use jarred mushrooms and canned veggies a lot.  Although, frozen veggies aren't really that bad.  So sometimes we use them too.

Would you believe it?  It was amazing.  A-MAY-ZING!

Don't believe me?  Check it out yourself.



See?  Oh me oh my was it scrumptious!  And balanced.  It had lots of color and all kinds of flavor.

Wanna know what I did?  I sauteed some mushrooms while cooking up my chicken (I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, if you were curious).  I then strained the chicken and combined it with the mushrooms, then the water and milk and packet of spices, and then the noodles.  I then microwaved a bag of steamfresh broccoli.  I took the left over peas from the chicken pot pie, and a can of carrots (I only used about 1/2 the can.  Maybe a little more).  I added the peas and carrots, and then about half of the bag of broccoli to the sauce mix.  Finish out the directions on the box and voile!

Oh how delicious it was, and it has given me an inspiration to repeat with other things as well.  Eventually.

No comments: