Friday, December 10, 2010

Putting the Happy in "Happy Friday!"

I love Fridays.  At least most of the time.  I don't often speak of my work on here (because let's face it- who wants to hear about an accountant's work?) but today I think I will share one aspect of my job that (sometimes) makes me happy.

I am an accountant.  I do the payroll, and as such, I'm in charge of the time monitoring system (the phone system we use to clock in and out).  It's a basic system, you call a number, you punch in your id (I say your name), you hit 1 to clock in or 2 to clock out (it verifies that you "clocked in" or "clocked out"), you hang up.

In the process, if you screw up (forget, clock out when you meant to clock in, etc etc) you will get an automated message telling you to call the office (ME!).  When you do, I fix the problem.  If you don't, there could be dire consequences, but that's not what I'm hear to discuss.

Sometimes I get cute calls like this:

"Hi Lynzie.  The lady" (an automated machine) "told me I screwed up this morning.  Can you tell me what I did wrong?"

Or sometimes, when I fix things I get

"Thanks.  You're the best."  I've also heard "awesome" "the wo-man", "amazing"

And then there are the guys that think they are all cute

"Thank you hun" or "Thank you baby"

Normally those would bother me, but... It's usually one guy, and he has a disability of some sort, and he's trying to be cute, and he is.

Other happy moments- We have a few workers who are from a country in Africa.  I don't know which country, but they have a REALLY HEAVY ACCENT.  Do you know who they like to talk to?  Me.  They call me all the time with questions- sometimes questions I don't have the answers to.  But you wanna know why they call me?  They like me.  They know I will help them without yelling at them or getting frustrated, and that makes me happy.

What makes you happy?

Happy Friday, y'all.

1 comment:

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] said...

I'm in accounting too... :p I don't blog much about it!