Saturday, June 5, 2010

Weekday Babysitting and working from home

In case I've never told you, I moonlight as a babysitter.  Now that I think about it, that was the part of this weekend I forgot to tell you about!  


So I babysat on Sunday recap for a family that flew in from New York for a wedding.  3 kids with the oldest being 5.  The youngest was a teething 10 month old with an ear infection.  Let's say it was very entertaining.  Great kids, which is always amazing.


Something different this week- I was asked to babysit for a couple hours on Wednesday.  Mom had to leave, but Dad wasn't going to be home in time.  So I went.  The trouble is I had to do some translating work!  My new lesson- working at home with 3 kids!!!!


Firstly- MAJOR kudos to those of you who work from home while being a parent.  How do you do it?  I was there for an hour and didn't get more than a few pages translated.  It was fun, but at the same time a little frustrating.  As a babysitter your job is to play with the kids.  That's all I've ever really had to work on while caring for children.  Obviously keeping the house clean is also on the list, but that's never been hard for me.  But working while sitting?  It was a first.  And not nearly as easy as I had hoped.


But a nice little trick?  Cards!!!!  I taught the 2 youngest the art of war.  They tried slap-jack, but to be honest, the older of the two was a lot faster and hit a lot harder.  It didn't work out as well as War.  


Once again- major kudos to you parents who also work at home.  I'd go nuts within a week.

No comments: